Issue Date: 411 PM CDT Wed May 18 2022
...FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD OF FLOODING IN THE
RAINY RIVER BASIN...
* WHAT...Flooding caused by rain and snowmelt is occurring. Namakan
Lake has already surpassed the level reached in the 2014 flood and is
continuing to rise. Lakes and rivers will continue to rise in the
coming days and weeks.
* WHERE...Rivers and lakes within the Rainy River Basin including
Lake Vermilion, Crane Lake, Namakan Lake, Kabetogama Lake, Rainy
Lake, and the Rainy River.
* WHEN...Flooding is occurring now and is expected to continue for
the next several days and weeks.
* IMPACTS...Strong lake level rises are ongoing. Flooding continues
on area lakes, rivers, creeks and other low-lying and flood-prone
locations. Widespread impacts are occurring. Record levels may
be reached on Namakan lake with continued wet weather. Rainy Lake
will likely exceed the 2014 peak in the next 7 days.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
- At 339 PM CDT, Emergency management reported ongoing flooding
across the warned area. More rain will cause additional
- Flooding is ongoing across the warned area. Heavy rain over
much of the Rainy Lake Basin on May 12th and 13th has
resulted in additional strong rises on area water bodies.
Levels on Namakan Lake are expected to rise 11 to 15 inches
between May 18th and May 25th.
Rainy Lake is expected to rise 11 to 13 inches between May
18th and May 28th. Continued rises are expected beyond the 7
day forecast window.
- Areas affected include Rainer, Island View, Voyageurs
National Park, Crane Lake, Kabetogama Lake and Lake
Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.
Please report observed flooding to local emergency services or law
enforcement and request they pass this information to the National
Weather Service when you can do so safely.
LAT...LON 4835 9343 4859 9345 4863 9295 4854 9263
4849 9270 4847 9271 4846 9271 4841 9246
4822 9237 4825 9227 4835 9226 4836 9206
4823 9196 4820 9172 4811 9171 4811 9156
4804 9157 4805 9143 4787 9153 4787 9265