Issue Date: 1048 AM CDT Thu May 19 2022
...FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CDT FRIDAY...
* WHAT...Flooding caused by rain and snowmelt continues.
* WHERE...A portion of northeast Minnesota, including the following
county, St. Louis.
* WHEN...Until noon CDT Friday.
* IMPACTS...Flooding of rivers, creeks, streams, and other low-lying
and flood-prone locations is imminent or occurring. Several
structures are flooded and some sand bagging operations are
continuing especially around Hunter and Bowman (Side) Lake.
Low-water crossings are inundated with water and may not be
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
- At 1046 AM CDT, Excessive runoff due to rainfall and snowmelt
is causing large rises on Island Lake. To prevent further
flooding, Minnesota Power is releasing high flows into the
Cloquet River which should mitigate the overall flood threat
while temporarily increasing the flood threat along the
Cloquet River. Flooding is already occurring in the warned
- More rainfall is expected today and tonight, so extra water
needs to be evacuated from Island Lake to maintain control of
water levels in the basin. Water has begun to recede from the
crest as Minnesota Power`s plan is to decrease output from
Island Lake by 100 cfs per hour until outflow matches inflow.
Flooding will continue until output reaches 3500 cfs from the
Island Lake Dam.
- Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Island Lake, Fredenberg, Taft and Fish Lake.
Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.
Please report observed flooding to local emergency services or law
enforcement and request they pass this information to the National
Weather Service when you can do so safely.
LAT...LON 4702 9224 4703 9222 4702 9221 4701 9219
4699 9219 4697 9221 4695 9226 4694 9232
4692 9239 4694 9245 4693 9247 4695 9250
4698 9246 4697 9242 4698 9238 4700 9235
4701 9232 4702 9228