Issue Date: 1222 PM CDT Mon May 16 2022
...FLOOD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 1215 PM CDT WEDNESDAY...
* WHAT...Flooding caused by rain and snowmelt is expected.
* WHERE...A portion of northeast Minnesota, including the following
county, St. Louis.
* WHEN...Until 1215 PM CDT Wednesday.
* IMPACTS...Flooding of rivers, creeks, streams, and other low-lying
and flood-prone locations is imminent or occurring. Several
structures are flooded and some sand bagging operations are
continuing especially around Hunter and Bowman (Side) Lake.
Low-water crossings are inundated with water and may not be
passable. This includes Bear Island Road near Island Lake.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
- At 1211 PM CDT, Excessive runoff due to rainfall and snowmelt
is causing large rises on Island Lake. To prevent further
flooding, Minnesota Power is releasing high flows into the
Cloquet River which should mitigate the overall flood threat
while temporarily increasing the flood threat along the
Cloquet River. Flooding is already occurring in the warned
- More rainfall is expected this weekend, so extra water needs
to be evacuated from Island Lake to maintain control of water
levels in the basin.
- Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Island Lake, Fredenberg, Taft and Fish Lake.
Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.
Please report observed flooding to local emergency services or law
enforcement and request they pass this information to the National
Weather Service when you can do so safely.
LAT...LON 4702 9224 4703 9222 4702 9221 4701 9219
4699 9219 4697 9221 4695 9226 4694 9232
4692 9239 4694 9245 4693 9247 4695 9250
4698 9246 4697 9242 4698 9238 4700 9235
4701 9232 4702 9228